Holistic Hoof Care & Nutrition in Prevention & Treatment of Laminitis & EMS (July 6th)
Time & Location
About The Event
About the Event
Owners are faced with many challenges in keeping the modern domestic leisure and performance horse sound and well. Lameness and and poor performance caused by loss of homeostasis and health not only causes distress for horses and owners but and are very costly financially and in terms of lost time spent having fun with your horse!
Laminitis is reported to affect at least 1 in every 10 horses, and we believe the figure may be higher due to it not being diagnosed properly or even recognised. This event will help you recognise loss of hoof health early on and understand the fundamentals of nutrition. It will provide you with sound advice, simple tools and management practices with a focus on dietary and podiatry intervention for high performance. These can be used on your yard or professional practice to help you re-address the imbalance and support health and longevity in your horse. We want you and your horse to have a better quality of life and even a return to full soundness and performance.
Well known professional Hoof Experts Beccy and Sarah have a wealth of knowledge in holistic horse and hoof care and are looking forward to meeting and supporting you on your journey of discovery towards high performance hoof health with your horse!
- Please bring a photo of your horse/hooves to share or ask questions about as there will be opportunity to ask Beccy and Sarah questions after both lectures.
- A notebook and pen may be useful to take notes however we will also email session notes to you after the event.
- There is a tea room onsite selling drinks and lovely cake!
- Tickets are £20 and this is a strictly ticketed event. Cash sales on the door are not permitted. To avoid disappointment, please book your ticket early.
- Ticket Refund Policy: Refunds are not provided and are only given if the event is cancelled by the event organiser (Holistic Reflections and representatives).
- Attendees must be 16 years of age or older.
The venue for this event is Old Hall Farm, Bough, Ulverston, Cumbria, LA12 8JA. For more information and to locate this venue, please visit www.oldhallfarmbouth.com
This venue is a beautiful traditional working farm with Shire Horses, donkeys and all manner of farm animals! Old Hall Farm welcomes visitors and has special activities and experience days including ploughing throughout the year. There is a tea room and farm shop too.
This event is in two parts:
1. Laminitis 101 Lecture by Beccy Smith - Holistic Equine Podiatrist, Therapist and Consultant
Lameness issues caused by poor hoof health are very common and seem to be on the increase. Recognition of early signs of loss of homeostasis can prevent the onset of more serious hoof disorders such as laminitis, founder and sinker and prevention is always better than cure!
In this talk Beccy will help you recognise a healthy hoof and foot and early signs of loss of homeostasis and laminitis. She will discuss new theories including Equine Digital Osteoarthritis and how this may impact the diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of horses with laminitis and Negative Palmar Angle Syndrome. Beccy will share with you a number of proven methods used to support horses hoof health holistically, which in turn help return health and performance in horses and prevent problems from developing in the first instance.
• Signs of imbalance and asymmetry in the horse /hoof
• Laminitis and Negative Palmar Angle Syndrome 101
• Holistic approach to dealing with laminitis and loss of performance in the foot
This talk will help you:
- Identify what is a healthy (and unhealthy) hoof
- Assess the horse for signs of imbalance and loss of homeostasis
- Learn what to do if you suspect your horse has laminitis
2. Nutrition 101 for soundness and performance lecture with Sarah Oliver - Instructor and CHCP - Certified Hoof Care Professional with Liberated Horsemanship
Nutrition and the question of "What to feed my horse?" are very much debated in the equine industry. Feeding horses is an art and science and navigating the information can be confusing and expensive for owners as well as down right harmful for horses.
Sarah has years of experience in helping horses return health and performance including severe laminitis as evidenced in her case studies. In this talk Sarah will help you appreciate the effects of inappropriate diet in domestic horses. She will dispel nutritional rumours and share with you her tools and tips to help you provide a healing nutritional environment for your horse.
• Importance of a healthy equibiome for health and longevity
• What are GMO's and why/how should we avoid them?
• Feeding your horse in the 21st Century and has this changed over the years?
This talk will help you:
- Learn how to conduct a useful health check and identify subtle changes in health
- Understand what to feed your horse for optimum health and performance
- Help you support the health of your lamintic or metabolically compromised horse
About the experts
Beccy Smith B.Sc.(Hons) MIAEP DAEP EBW of Holistic Reflections.
Beccy is a Holistic Equine Consultant, Equine Podiatrist,/Barefoot Trimmer, Wellness Coach and Therapist at Holistic Reflections (formerly Holistic Equine based in East Yorkshire) with 26 years industry experience. Beccy is a qualified Applied Equine Podiatrist, SCENAR therapist and Equine Sports Massage therapist. She is also a qualified BHS groom and has an honours degree in Equine Technology and Business. Beccy provides unique consultations and services for horses, pets and people in and around Cumbria, the Scottish Borders and the North of England and supports the health, longevity and evolution of people, pets and horses. Together with her family, she is the caretaker of a herd of 5 incredible horses which live at their yard alongside their rescued dogs and cats on the fringe of the Lake District National Park. To learn about Beccy and the services and products provided by Holistic Reflections, please visit the Holistic Reflections Facebook page at www.facebook.com/holisticreflections/ or visit www.holisticreflections.co.uk You can also find useful information about Beccy and her products, services, testimonials etc, at www.holisticequine.co.uk
Sarah Oliver Instructor and CHCP - Certified Hoof Care Professional with Liberated Horsemanship
"I am a full time barefoot trimmer and trim between 80 and 120 horses, ponies and donkeys a month. My goal is help horse owners in any way i can with transitioning to barefoot and educating them on whole horse health. This includes working alongside other professionals such as vets, chiropractors, equine horse dentists and animal communicators. I specialise in working with the horse owner work within their means, taking into consideration, land management, any restrictions they have to abide by and their financial limits. The most important thing is the horses welfare. I also stock and carry around with me a selection of hoof boots, pads, red horse products, and supplements all non toxic and suitable for barefoot horses. I now offer hoof care courses for horse owners wanting to further their knowledge in hoof care and whole horse health please see my courses section for the courses that are currently running. " To learn more about Sarah and her professional services, events and products, visit www.dare2bebarefoot.co.uk or visit Sarahs Facebook page here: www.facebook.com/www.dare2bebarefoot.co.uk/
- Ticketed Event Only£20£200£0